Friday, August 31, 2012

What it's Really Like

I just wanted to put a few of my thoughts down in writing and so therefore, ya'll get to read them. :)  I know it has been some time since I've posted anything, but life has been good.

A series of events, such as listening to the song '19' by Waycross, working at a restuarant and having one busy week and the next week slow all because of military payday, walking through Walmart and being surrounded by young Marines, and sitting at traffic stops and seeing men and women in uniform all around me, because of these things (and many others), I am daily reminded that I live in a military town. 

If any of you have been long time followers of my blog, lifetime friends of me, or even have known me for a shorter period of time, you may know that I have always had a passion for the military, our country, and patriotism.  I always had a heart for our military and was always super thankful for them.  Then, I married a Marine.  I was not looking for a military man, but look awesomeness God gave me! :)  Now, not only do I live in a military town, shop on base at the commissary, and live off military pay, but....I AM A MARINE WIFE!!!

Until you are in the military, marry into the military, or have a close family member or friend serving, will you truly understand what it's really like.  Unless you have seen the fence along Hwy 24 with signs that loved ones have put up welcoming their Marine back from Afghanistan, or have talked to a young girl who's husband is gone for 6 weeks training at 29 Palms to prepare for 7 months of combat, you really won't understand. 

Last year in my communications class I learned the difference between sympathy and empathy.  Sympathy is where you feel for someone going through something.  Empathy you feel WITH someone, you've been in their shoes.  I've always sympathized for military wives, now I empathize with them.  Not that it's a big pity part.  Oh heavens no!  Those military ladies are tough!  Yep, we cry.  Yep, we don't want to see them go.  But we do it and we can stand on our own two feet while they are gone.  We pay the bills, keep the house up, keep working, and stay busy.

Okay, now that I've patted myself on the back for today, I want to share this video that brought this all to mind.  This song is fact.  While not every Marine was going to play for TN, they all had dreams.  They all put them on hold.  They all fight with all they've got.  They all protect every freedom that you have.   If you feel the desire, please pass this on.  Send it as an encouragement to a military spouse.  Post the video on facebook so others can thank our troops.  Reread it and realize how much each person in the military sacrifices daily for your freedom. 

Oh, and if you really really really want to know what it's like?  Marry a Marine. :)  By the way, just to put this out there, I'm really proud of mine.

~Bethany~


3 comments:

Amiee said...

Thank you for sharing what it is like to be the wife of a Marine. I enjoyed reading your post, and watching the video. My brother was a Marine Sniper. It changed him....forever. Tell your Marine we said, "Thank You" :)

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Wonderful post, Bethany. Thanks for reminding us of their, and your, sacrifice. Sometimes we forget that for every military man/woman there's a family somewhere who also sacrifices for our country. God bless.

Hannah said...

Bethany,
I found your blog off of Feminine Farmgirl, and I love it. :)
Thanks for sharing a wonderful post and reminding us how much we have to be thankful for. God bless you and your Marine. :)