Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bagpipes!

Being Saint Patricks day, I thought I'd post the little bit of Irish that I like....some bagpipe music. :)  Actually, it's just my favorite song played by bagpipes, Amazing Grace.  It's a beautiful song and the bagpipes seem to give it more meaning.  It plays a sad wail that turns into a triumphant march "when we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun".

Here are the lyrics to the beautiful song written by John Newton.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.
 This video is also honoring those who have served our wonderful nation.  Remember them, as they have sacrificed so much for our freedom.

Blessings,
~Bethany~

3 comments:

Joshua said...

Bethany,
Did you know that the Protestant attire for St. Patrick's day is the color orange rather than green? The color green resembles the Catholic's beliefs for St. Patrick's Day, while orange was the color the Protestants decided to use for St. Patrick's Day to separate themselves from the Catholics. I never knew that until today. Thought you would be interested. =)

Many blessings,
Joshua :)

Joshua said...

Also, if you showed that video to our Pastor, who is Irish, he would never to speak to you again. "Scottish bagpipes are not even half as good as Irish bagpipes", he would say in his delicate Irish accent. Scotland and Ireland are totally different from each other. The Scots despise the Irish and vice versa. However, our Pastor did marry a Scottish woman, so he may speak to you again........... My point, be careful when acknowledging an Irish holiday with Scottish bagpipes. Our pastor constantly relays to us the many a story of the many feuds between the Irish and Scottish people. They live in utter defiance of each other.

Jenna said...

It is a BEAUTIFUL song, and I agree that the bag pipes give it a deep and rich feeling at the end!! Thanks for sharing it:)

Love you lots.
Jenna