Sunday, March 14, 2010

Week in Review

Hey all my blogging friends!  What a week it has been....with all the testing, FFA convention, etc.

Ok, so Tuesday morning I headed to our local school and took the ACT test.  English and Reading went fine (naturally for me).  Math and Science, not so well (again, natural for me :P).  I don't get the scores for a few more weeks, so we just wait until then.

Wednesday was the Work Keys Test.  This is a test that employers look at to make sure you are at least halfway intelligent. :D  This test in my opinion was the easiest of them all.  Applied math, reading comprehension and locating information is pretty simple in my opinion.  I was home around noon and then Abigail and I left about 12:30 to head into Lansing for the first day of FFA state convention!  We arrived right about 2:00 and got to watch one of out chapter members present her agri-science project.  I'm now getting pushed to do an agri-science project and am looking for good ideas....anyone? :D  Anyway, after that we went to a session where I received my WLC partial scholarship.  Washington Leadership Conference is a FFA conference in the summer...in Washington DC!!!  Wooohooo! :)  We ate dinner and then came back for another session where all of us juniors recieved our Outstanding Junior Award.  This award is based on grades, your SAE ( your agricultural project area) and your dedication (how many hours you work).  It was about 9:00 when that session was out and guess what we found when we got back to our car....a dead battery!  Yeah baby.  To make a long story short, we finally got it jumped and were on our way home.  It was about midnight when we finally hit the hay.

Thursday was the last day of testing!!!  This was more of a curriculum test based on public schools so it was a little more difficult for me.  Still, not near as difficult as the ACT obviously. There were a few things that made me what to growl such as evolution based questions, questions bent against agriculture, etc.  However, I can't do anything about it so I just did the best I could answering them.  This test was the shortest and my mom picked me up at 10:20.  We headed straight for Lansing where I was spending the night.  I got there at right about 12:00 sharp and had just enough time to change and get seated to receive my proficiency award.  This was the award that I was most excited about.  I received a silver award for my accomplishments on my farm, what I do, what I own, etc.  So anyway, that was fun!  Then we just got to sit through a session watching a bunch of other people receive their proficiency awards.  This is one of the biggest and most exciting award areas since it is based on each person's different SAE.  We went to several sessions during that day and got to see several chapter members up on stage!  Two were finalists for Star awards and the agri-science project made it on!  Pretty cool.  Anyway, it was late by the time we made it back to the hotel and I was bushed.  It was late, about 11:30 and I had to be up at 5:30 the next morning.  I was a delegate, so we had to be there early to vote for our new state officers.

Friday morning we were voting for state officers around 8:00 in the morning.  It was fun to be a voice for our whole chapter.  Then we sat through the last and final session where we saw on of our members become part of the new State Officer Team!!!  Go Karice!  We finally headed home around 1:00 stopping only for a few minutes to grab a bite to eat.  It was fun being with everyone during those few crazy days. I made it home right about 3:30.  Now, mind you I was supposed to be leaving in a 1/2 hour to go to the same campus (MSU) we had been on for a rodeo with friends!  I was also supposed to get chores done before I left. :P  Needless to say, we were late (my pet peeve that gets peeved frequently :P). It was a blast going with friends and having a relaxing evening at dinner and a youth rodeo.  Fun stuff!

Saturday morning I was up and around early as we Dad, Rebekah and I) had to leave at 7:30 to go BACK to MSU.  This was for the Spring Goat Day where I was to find out the results of the MDGS youth representative.  We also attended several great sessions such as "The Right to Farm" (looking at legislation), "Hay Quality", a few youth sessions, "Mastitis" and "Using Linear Appraisal Data".  Oh, and you are probably wondering how I did on the youth rep....I got runner up!  The girl who won it definitely deserved it.  She is the editor of the whole MDGS magazine and another magazine as well so she is very involved.

So today is going to be another busy day. :)  I'm going to be going to hopefully pick up a doe kid in replacement of one that I bought last year who wouldn't get bred.  I really like her a lot, but if she won't breed....kinda gotta git rid of her.  So anyway, that's the plan for now.

Here's a few pics of State Convention!
 Me receiving my WLC scholarship.  I'm the 5th from the left.
All the juniors with their Outstanding Junior Award!
 Just a few of the chapter members.
 Me! :D
Here's a video of some cowgirl roping! I believe this was in the junior division, so she's not even in high-school.


How did everyone's week go?

~Bethany~

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Hi Bethany!

I enjoyed reading your post. I have testing the end of this month!
Thank you for sharing the pictures, my dear friend! :)
I pray that you are having a blessed Lord's Day!

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

Josh said...

Hey Bethany!
Congrats on the award, and way to go on the tests! I hope that the results turn out really good.

Your new kid looks great too! I am just so glad that we were able to see her in person!

Josh

Rachel said...

Congratulations, Bethany, on the award and tests!

Thank you for sharing the pictures and video with us. :)
God bless, dear friend!
Love and blessings in Christ,
Rachel

The Myers Family said...

I do believe if someone stuck you about now you would have to bleed green and white, right? You have spent so much time up there. What a week you have accomplished...you got to be proud and relieved. If you can...take it a little easy this week. We so enjoyed Friday night...thanks for that and for everything!

<3 :)

Jenna said...

Hey Dear Friend!
Thank you SO much for stopping by yesterday - it was awesome to see you and Abigail (I like your doe kid too):)

I also had a great time on Saturday going to some of the goat sessions with you...!!!

Love you lots!
~Jenna