- 6 cups water
- 12 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In another saucepan, saute onion in 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, celery salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the carrots, cheese and white sauce. Repeat layers. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread cubes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.