Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Winter Farm Update

Just thought I would update on farm stuff around here. Yesterday was Martian Luther King Jr.'s birthday, so that gave us the excuse to take a day off of school and get work done around the farm. It was chilly, but we worked hard and stayed warm. Abigail and I went out to the barn and started cleaning the feed room and milk room around 10:30 or so. We had a rag and warm water and wiped off counters that have been dirty for several months, swept, etc. It looks SO much better now! Then we cleaned all the pens which took a few hours, but the barn looks brand spankin' new now. We finished up around 2:30 and still hadn't had lunch so we came in and ate like there was no tomorrow. Now I know what being hungry really means....:) Then Abigail, Dad, Devin and I went with the tractor and hay wagon a few miles away to where we store hay and straw during the winter. We got 40 bales of straw and 40+ bales of hay. I stacked the wagon and it brought back great memories of the summer, baling both hay and straw! My hands hurt from the twine this morning though, terribly wimpy, I know. :) When we got home, we unloaded it all and stacked it in the hay mow in the pole barn. Then I moved some goats from the dairy barn up to the pole barn and moved some from the pole barn down to the dairy barn. Got it? Good. :) Now we only have about 3 or 4 up in the pole barn that are pregnant. The rest are dry. By the time I got inside, I was so tired I almost fell asleep at the table. That is what a good days worth of work feels like. Ummmmmmm. I love working, can't you tell? BTW, that was not sarcastically. :)

I just thought I would post that and let everyone know that we are now ready for kids, have pens ready for mommas and babies and we are all set and ready to go. Now lets see how long I can wait......

In Christ,
~Bethany~

1 comment:

Beth said...

Well, sounds like you got lots more done than I did. We cooked all day. Ya'll are lucky to be bailing your own hay; we don't have that much pasture.