Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tea' Kidded!

Monday night I noticed Tea' (short for Mattea and pronounced Tay-yah) beginning to act kinda strange so I told everyone to keep an eye on her while we went off to Ag Issues practice.  I didn't think she'd really go that night, but thought it'd be safe to watch anyway.  Nothing happened but she was definitely going to be delivering soon.

All day we kept an eye on her and I was sure I was going to miss her while I went to the careers center.  Nope, she was still about the same when I came back.  Nothing all evening, so I went to bed setting my alarm for 1:00 in the morning.  When I went out to check on her then her water broke so I put the timer on for 45 minutes and laid down on the couch.  I ummm, slept through the timer and someone turned if off so I woke up at 3:30.  I pretty much ran all the way out to the barn and found a darling little buck kid just born.  He was kinda clean, but still very wet.  I grabbed all the towels from out in the barn and headed back to the house with my arms full of towels and baby.  Abigail was sleeping on the other couch so I woke her up and simply said "time to get to work" and went back out since I knew she was going to have another.  I stimulated a few contractions and out popped the other one and I didn't even have to check to see if it was a girl.  She was about 1/2 the size of the buck kid (obviously very girlish).  Then the bumbling idiot who brought the buck kid inside (yes, that is yours truly) had also managed to take pretty much all the towels inside so I only had a little few to wrap 'er up and take her for a frigid run into the house.  We got them all cleaned up and milked mamma as quickly as possible so as to get into the warm house ASAP (it's cold outside!).  Now they've eaten and are attempting to stand in a slippery pool filled with shavings.  Getting close!

Girl on the left, boy on the right,
 
Girl on the right, boy on the left.  Rags surrounding. :)


Okay, I'm going to start doing something that I've never done before....post the pedigree of each of the kids.  So....here goes!

SS: Amy's Pride AR Heartbreaker
                   S: Alpine Valley Prestissimo
2010 Kids:
                   D:Golden Rule The Mattea
 DD:Granted-Wishes WS-CHM Misfit

Enjoy the crazy stories! :)
~Bethany~

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm sorry that she decided to go at 3:30 am, but thankfully everything went well, huh?!

Great idea to put the pedigree on the post! I like it because then I don't have to "clarify" which doe is from who etc...:)

I love the stories, keep 'em coming! You're going to have a busy weekend (grin).

Don't forget to grab some rest - you're gonna need it!!
Love you, Bethany~

Eldarwen said...

Congratulations, Mattea! :) And Bethany! I bet you were excited as well. Baby animals are just so adorable. There is no comparison. :) Have fun with your new kids! {hugs}

In Christ,
Eldarwen

Jenna said...

So cute! I can't wait to see more stories! Like Jenna said... Keep 'em coming!!! :)

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

Susannah (Farmgirls/Sevensisters) said...

Awww....they are so cute!!

We had triplet goats born New Years Eve around 3 am :) They seem to like the early mornings best :)

~Susannah